3 Days | 2 Nights
A shorter 3 day version of the hike to the summit of Mt Meru, the third highest peak in Tanzania, through verdant afromontane forest into high altitude alpine desert with unparalleled views of a dormant volcano.
This itinerary misses out the last night on the mountain. Instead, after summiting, the walk continues all the way back to Momella Gate.
DAY 1 : MIRIAKAMBA HUT
START – 4,922FT / 1500M
END – 8,248FT / 2514M
DISTANCE – 9 MILES / 14KM
TIME – 6-8 HRS
CLIMATE ZONE – AFROMONTANE FOREST
In the morning you are collected from your hotel and transferred to Arusha National Park. At the Momella Gate we complete registration formalities before setting off with your guide and armed ranger – there is abundant wildlife in the forests!
The forest section is especially scenic with strangler figs and the possibility of seeing buffalo grazing in one of the clearings. In the late afternoon you reach a viewpoint before heading on to Miriakamba Hut for dinner.
DAY 2: SADDLE HUT
START – 8,248FT / 2514M
END – 11,713 / 3570M
DISTANCE – 4 MILES / 6KM
TIME – 4-5 HRS
CLIMATE ZONE – ALPINE DESERT
You set off from Miriakamba Hut, initially still in the forest zone, but in a few hours as you will reach Saddle Hut for lunch in the alpine desert zone. In the afternoon a walk to the summit of Little Meru (Alt: 12,532ft, 3820m) can be taken for stunning views before heading back to Saddle Hut for dinner.
DAY 3: SUMMIT – ARUSHA
START – 11,713FT / 3570M
END – 4,922FT / 1500M
DISTANCE – 16 MILES / 25KM
TIME – 16-18 HRS
CLIMATE ZONES – ALPINE DESERT / AFROMONTANE FOREST
You rise early and your hard work is rewarded at dawn as the sun rises to the East. Kilimanjaro is normally clearly seen from here and the sheer cliffs of the crater fall dramatically 1000 feet or more. After taking photos at Socialist Peak (Alt: 14,978ft, 4,565m) you return to our base camp at Saddle Hut for a quick refuel.
After some brunch, you start the long hike all the way back to Momella Gate. Here you are met by our driver, who will transfer you back to your accommodation for that well deserved shower!
KILIMANJARO – TREKKING ROUTE
- Mount Meru trekking according to the itinerary
- Professional, English-speaking Wilderness First Responder & CPR certified Guide
- Proper Ration of Mountain crew (Cook & Porters)
- Pre and Post accommodations (2 nights Bed and Breakfast)
- Airport Transfers
- Meals according to the itinerary
- Drinking water and Full Board Meals
- All National Park & Hut Fees, Crew Permits and VAT
- Fair and Sustainable Salary Crew Wages
- Gate Transfers
- Complimentary Oxygen Cylinder
- Portable Private Toilet and Porter
- Quality Imported Equipment’s
- Visa fees
- Travel or Medical Insurance is required and you should ask for Recommendation
- Gamow Bag
- Tips for porters and mountain crew (20% Industry Standard Recommended)
- Personal spending money for souvenirs etc.
- Energy food & beverages, alcoholic and soft drinks
- Personal hire gear such as trekking poles, sleeping bags, etc.